• Until we can sync your login for the main site with the Community Forum you will need to register a new account here as well.

replacement drivers for rest of year

crashthe24

can we get an actual answer on what happens if there is another replacement driver for the rest of the season.
it will affect how we play our C rosters out from now on.
it seems like as time has passed, the kenseth to C instead of B had more support.
let's say rousch wants to throw another car on track to figure out what is wrong with their cars and gets Biffle to drive it.
does the grand wizard put him in B or C?
if someone at joe gibbs gets hurt and they bring back Carl Edwards, where does he get slotted.
if we knew that from now on, they'd all go in C, i'd play out my C list differently than if it was "grand wizard flips a coin, heads B - tails C.
if i have 7 C starts left from the 88 & 24, i'd start using them a little more and saving them less if we knew that replacements definitely went to C.
i don't want to have 7 starts left with 9 or 10 races left and then find out that someone is driving a gibbs car as a replacement.
under that scenario i'd use my 7 starts now and use the scrub C's at the end if there was no replacement in C.
if there was a replacement in C, i'd get the benefit of using my 24/88 combos and get good points from the replacement also.
under the "we don't know where he's going" scenario, i'd save my 24/88 starts for the chase.
if the 88 makes the chase, he'll probably score more top 10's instead of top 15 and top 20's.

would love to hear everyone's thoughts about this now, so the grand wizard can see what we're all thinking (and hoping for)
choice A-- all replacement drivers go to C no matter what until the season ends.
choice B-- slot them based on talent level and possibly throw them in B even though a lot of the stronger players in leagues have mostly mapped out which "TOP 6 B" driver starts are getting slotted in the final 10 races already in order to maximize points and would probably not use the replacement driver in B anyway.
sill haven't used kenseth yet and would only give him my 4th slot (just in case he qualifies and practices good) for possibly 2 other races this year.

still living the dream...

bryce34

IMO, I don't think there is a silver bullet answer to how replacement drivers should be handled. There is obviously a difference if say Daniel Hembric replaces someone at RCR than if Carl Edwards ends up driving a JGR car. I think it's basically a judgement call if/when a situation like that arises. As a blanket rule, I feel like replacement drivers moving into an A or B lister's car should be in B but there are holes to be poked in that idea as well (in hindsight, Kenseth looks like a C lister now). I'm not a big fan of the gimmes like if Carl Edwards moves into the 19 and becomes a C list option. I enjoy the game more when you have to strategize uses and something like that makes it a no-brainer so not in favor of a blanket "replacement driver = C list" rule.

To your overall point, this is something I hadn't really considered. I'm still holding 10 combined 24/88 starts so I may start using them a little sooner just in case this scenario comes into play. If a 3rd truly relevant C list replacement emerges I don't want to end up leaving 24/88 starts in the bank.

sleestak

IMO, I don't think there is a silver bullet answer to how replacement drivers should be handled. There is obviously a difference if say Daniel Hembric replaces someone at RCR than if Carl Edwards ends up driving a JGR car. I think it's basically a judgement call if/when a situation like that arises. As a blanket rule, I feel like replacement drivers moving into an A or B lister's car should be in B but there are holes to be poked in that idea as well (in hindsight, Kenseth looks like a C lister now). I'm not a big fan of the gimmes like if Carl Edwards moves into the 19 and becomes a C list option. I enjoy the game more when you have to strategize uses and something like that makes it a no-brainer so not in favor of a blanket "replacement driver = C list" rule.

To your overall point, this is something I hadn't really considered. I'm still holding 10 combined 24/88 starts so I may start using them a little sooner just in case this scenario comes into play. If a 3rd truly relevant C list replacement emerges I don't want to end up leaving 24/88 starts in the bank.
Good thoughts. I still support Kenseth in the B list. There are 16 races left. I'd say he's performing at around 8th - 10th in B's right now and making gains.

oldfartracer

A lot of thoughts and conjecture here about “replacement drivers.” Jumping the gun here a bit imo. Don’t see how any decision can be addressed until it actually happens and you know who, and what car/team they’re with. Fantasy Racing, what’s your fantasy???

crashthe24

i'm thinking, he knows what he would do already, so just let everyone know what he's thinking so we can play our rosters the way we want to maximize points.
even if he said "whatever car number" needs a replacement, 1) we'll put the replacement at one letter lower grade or 2) keep that car number replacement at the exact same level or 3) everybody goes into C no matter what.
all 3 option would be played differently by a variety of players as noted that bryce34 said "To your overall point, this is something I hadn't really considered. I'm still holding 10 combined 24/88 starts so I may start using them a little sooner just in case this scenario comes into play. If a 3rd truly relevant C list replacement emerges I don't want to end up leaving 24/88 starts in the bank."

now he's thinking of playing things differently to maximize his points now that the discussion is brought up.
a lot of us are used to the "yahoo way" and he didn't run it that way with kenseth. we just want an answer as to what "his way" is.
and by the way... Almirola missed weeks 12 thru 18 last year so we're way past "jumping the gun" as oldfartracer claims. (no offense)
once again, i understand that it's his game and we're just playing in it. i just want to know what his game is compared to yahoos.
this thread has gotten 127 views in 3 days, so it's not like no one cares about the issue.

Last edited:

oldfartracer

i'm thinking, he knows what he would do already, so just let everyone know what he's thinking so we can play our rosters the way we want to maximize points.
even if he said "whatever car number" needs a replacement, 1) we'll put the replacement at one letter lower grade or 2) keep that car number replacement at the exact same level or 3) everybody goes into C no matter what.
all 3 option would be played differently by a variety of players as noted that bryce34 said "To your overall point, this is something I hadn't really considered. I'm still holding 10 combined 24/88 starts so I may start using them a little sooner just in case this scenario comes into play. If a 3rd truly relevant C list replacement emerges I don't want to end up leaving 24/88 starts in the bank."

now he's thinking of playing things differently to maximize his points now that the discussion is brought up.
a lot of us are used to the "yahoo way" and he didn't run it that way with kenseth. we just want an answer as to what "his way" is.
and by the way... Almirola missed weeks 12 thru 18 last year so we're way past "jumping the gun" as oldfartracer claims. (no offense)
once again, i understand that it's his game and we're just playing in it. i just want to know what his game is compared to yahoos.
this thread has gotten 127 views in 3 days, so it's not like no one cares about the issue.
Understand completely what you’re saying, but it’s all based on what if’s. I just prefer to deal with realities.

LUG NUTS RACING

Not to throw salt in the wound but.............

What about Clint Bowyer, Kurt Busch and Jimmie Johnson? Busch and Bowyer are performing better than Johnson and Bowyer has two wins compared to Johnson who has none and is stinking up the joint in A. What group will they end up in next year?

Last edited:

bryce34

I don’t see how Jimmie can be an A lister next year- if he were a B lister this year he’d be 7th in points/race. He hasn’t really looked usable (as an A) anywhere this year and was only usable in a few races last year.

Kurt or Clint definitely deserve his spot. I’d move Kurt before Bowyer because he has a longer track record of consistent A/high B level performance.

ControlCar42

Interesting
As a rookie, don’t/can’t say much
But I do remember a post that said
“Y’all keep blowing your Bowman’s and Bryon’s.....”
Also
“10 car performing great and many will not use all his starts to full potential”

I took both statements to heart(and explained to R hand man(wyland my 8yr old)
Weeks ago
So we are set in A&B for all big hitters thru P.Off’s......5 short on C(assuming B&B for rest of season)

Think good rule experience or not.....you have to start in C if you left/retired/lost ride/new cole trickle coming up fast.

When Gordon filled in for Dale he was a C driver. Any driver that is not full time or a fill in should be in C. Thats the way its always been and its simple.

LUG NUTS RACING

I don’t see how Jimmie can be an A lister next year- if he were a B lister this year he’d be 7th in points/race. He hasn’t really looked usable (as an A) anywhere this year and was only usable in a few races last year.

Kurt or Clint definitely deserve his spot. I’d move Kurt before Bowyer because he has a longer track record of consistent A/high B level performance.
I tend to agree with you on Jimmie. He seems to get a pass because he's 7 Time but, let's face it, he's really sucked the last two years. I see him getting a little better but when will he be back to A caliber? 2020? Who knows!

To me, Ku Busch always looks like he's gray area. He's a decent B with a decent team but even with SHR this year he's "A Lite." I don't think he has a contract with SHR past 2018. Ol' Crazy Clint is having a career year but he could take a dump real quick next year.

It doesn't take much research into the stats to see that there are several marginal/inconsistent performers in B who could easily be in C. Drivers such as Kasey Kan't, Tie Dillon, Trevor Bayne, Allmendingdong, to name just a few. Heck, Bowman and Byron in C are looking better than a lot of B drivers.

With 9 starts do we really need 9 or even 8 drivers in A or would it be more competitive to lower the starts to 7 and leave less drivers on the table unused?

In my opinion, A is top heavy, B has more than enough, and C is hurtin' for certain. Maybe some of the scrubs in B should end up in C next season. Lots of sub-par no names in C that could be dumped.

Last edited:
OK lets make this simple ... The CAR stays in the list that it started the year at. No hard an fast rule will be perfect, but when Gordon was driving in C that was an obvious disruption to the season based on players having different strategies.

bryce34

With 9 starts do we really need 9 or even 8 drivers in A or would it be more competitive to lower the starts to 7 and leave less drivers on the table unused?
I was all for the move to 7 max starts before the season started and now it looks even more like that would’ve been the best move.

Every team should absolutely be using all 9 starts from 4, 18, and 78 leaving only 9 starts to be distributed among the remaining 5 drivers. Same with B- I’ll be maxing 14, 41, 10, 12, 9, and 20 leaving 18 other starts to find in 36 races. There will be around 10 A/B list cars that I use twice or less (and at least 5 not at all). It takes away some of the strategy when all you have to do is roster the same handful of teams every week and just start whoever looks best in practice.

oldfartracer

I was all for the move to 7 max starts before the season started and now it looks even more like that would’ve been the best move.

Every team should absolutely be using all 9 starts from 4, 18, and 78 leaving only 9 starts to be distributed among the remaining 5 drivers. Same with B- I’ll be maxing 14, 41, 10, 12, 9, and 20 leaving 18 other starts to find in 36 races. There will be around 10 A/B list cars that I use twice or less (and at least 5 not at all). It takes away some of the strategy when all you have to do is roster the same handful of teams every week and just start whoever looks best in practice.
Yep, I was also all for seven starts. It would have really improved the game imo, forces the player to put a lot more thought into his week to week strategy as well as keeping an eye on the entire season. Bottom line though we’ve all got the same rules so as it always was in Yahoo, those who thought beyond the race at hand will most likely improve their position as we get to the chase and beyond, and those who raced to the front will try to hold on the best they can. Fun times!

crashthe24

so you're saying that using bubba, buescher, and ragan all 7 times in a year finishing off of the lead lap almost every time is a good thing?
did anyone use danica at least 7 times every year? how about ty. dillon when he was in C? under 7 starts only, you'd run them all 7 times and probably a driver that is even worse than them each year 7 times. be careful what you wish for.
i'd actually probably not play, which i'm sure would bring cheers to a few of you on here.
still wanting to play in a game where i can watch all of my 4 drivers on the lead lap almost every race.