• Until we can sync your login for the main site with the Community Forum you will need to register a new account here as well.

Atlanta - Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500

I learned a lot today about B list prospects. Namely ... Kurt Busch and Ryan Newman. Both historically run well at Atlanta. Kurt was top 10 all day and Newman looks to still be a usable B. May be a little too early to know for sure on Newman.

AND the C list looks to be "deep" with Preece and Hemric showing good speed and competitiveness.
Dunno if I'd use the word "deep" unless your talking Kimchi. I see some speed and potential there but not much good if they take a big dump after Stage 2. I think the jury is still out on C.

beervo2

This game has so much to do with luck. Stinks when things don't go your way, but how sweet it is when it does. I been on both ends too many times to count. My bad luck usually comes in bunches
More LUCK than anything else, no way of predicting what can happen through a whole race, pit road smash ups, pit road penalty's, tires coming apart, ect........ But it sure is nice when it all comes together in a good way for ya.......;)

On to Vegas Baby!!!!!

More LUCK than anything else, no way of predicting what can happen through a whole race, pit road smash ups, pit road penalty's, tires coming apart, ect........ But it sure is nice when it all comes together in a good way for ya.......;)

On to Vegas Baby!!!!!
I can track momentum from prior weeks, fast practice laps, 10 lap averages in practice, interviews after practices, qualifying results, past history at each track and similar tracks, but you just can't predict blown tires, some other car taking out your pick, poor pit stops, fuel mileage or just dumb ass moves. LUCK be a Lady Tonight!!!!!!

sleestak

Dunno if I'd use the word "deep" unless your talking Kimchi. I see some speed and potential there but not much good if they take a big dump after Stage 2. I think the jury is still out on C.
I am saying there looks to be 5-6 drivers that are on equal ground. Last year, there was a drop off beyond the 88, 24 (feast or famine), and 37.

This year we have Ty Dillon back, Buescher still there (former XFINITY champ), DiBenedetto in a much better ride, McDowell and Ragan are still there and where the best of the rest from last year IMO, and today I saw Preece and Hemric with speed. My DEEP in parenthesis is to acknowledge that I am talking about C drivers not championship contenders.

beervo2

I can track momentum from prior weeks, fast practice laps, 10 lap averages in practice, interviews after practices, qualifying results, past history at each track and similar tracks, but you just can't predict blown tires, some other car taking out your pick, poor pit stops, fuel mileage or just dumb ass moves. LUCK be a Lady Tonight!!!!!!
Exactly.........

I am saying there looks to be 5-6 drivers that are on equal ground. Last year, there was a drop off beyond the 88, 24 (feast or famine), and 37.

This year we have Ty Dillon back, Buescher still there (former XFINITY champ), DiBenedetto in a much better ride, McDowell and Ragan are still there and where the best of the rest from last year IMO, and today I saw Preece and Hemric with speed. My DEEP in parenthesis is to acknowledge that I am talking about C drivers not championship contenders.
I know what you meant by "deep." I was being facetious. I'll give you there are more choices this year. A few of them have better cars which will tell us if the cars and teams they drove last year were junk or they're just scrub drivers. If 50% of those 5-6 guys pan out it will be a blessing. Sorry, but I suppose I'm not as optimistic as you.

crashthe24

This game has so much to do with luck. Stinks when things don't go your way, but how sweet it is when it does. I been on both ends too many times to count. My bad luck usually comes in bunches
fear not motorhead, you'll bounce back. the force is strong in this one.
survived and advanced with a 356 at atlanta. recovered from smashtona for 585 after two and i'm back on the 10,000 track. come join me.
i had keselowski / bowyer / kurt busch / ragan
the stars might lie, but the numbers never do, i feel lucky today.

in the immortal words of freddie mercury and queen... we are the champions my friend and we'll keep on fighting 'til the end

Last edited:

sleestak

survived and advanced with a 356 at atlanta. recovered from smashtona for 585 after two and i'm back on the 10,000 track. come join me.
the stars might lie, but the numbers never do, i feel lucky today,
I've been pondering how difficult the 10K points milestone is compared to previous years under the new points system (for default league settings).

With the reduced driver use limits, we have to dig deeper down the 3 lists, BUT we are now getting stage points. I scored 13 stage points today. 10 stage points a race would be significant to the tune of 360 points. I only scored 3 stage points at Daytona, but I think the restrictor plate races are more of a crap shoot on stage points.

WacoWarrior

I've been pondering how difficult the 10K points milestone is compared to previous years under the new points system (for default league settings).

With the reduced driver use limits, we have to dig deeper down the 3 lists, BUT we are now getting stage points. I scored 13 stage points today. 10 stage points a race would be significant to the tune of 360 points. I only scored 3 stage points at Daytona, but I think the restrictor plate races are more of a crap shoot on stage points.
No need to ponder...bonus points that are scored now & wasn't scored in the past obviously makes scores higher...(in default)...regardless of the number of times a driver is available to pick...

crashthe24

well, there's definitely a need to ponder...
because it's only 8 starts per driver this year, you're going to be using your top 6 B's for all 8 starts and probably your #7 & #8 B guy 6 - 8 times.
the chances of #7&#8 racking up a bunch of stage points aren't that high and it really drops when you're using #9 & #10 B driver.
remember last year we had the discussion about 280 points a week gets you to 10,000 with a little to spare.
that means your A should finish top 5 / #1 B finishes top 10 / #2 B finishes top 15 / and your C needs a top 20.
the C driver will hardly ever get you a stage point so since you now have to go 5 deep because of 8 starts, your C list should get you less points this year instead of last so you'll be in a hole compared to last year.
your #2 B averaging a 15th place finish may get you some stage points. but most of the stage points will come from your A guy and #1B.
the 360 point bump for the year with stage points compared to last year seems a bit of a stretch, (maybe 200 points) but getting only 8 starts should lose you about 200 points also.
i'm sure the guys that finished at 9,990 to 9,999 last year are thrilled with stage points, giving them more hope.
we'll see how it all shakes out in the end.

going 5 deep in the C list last year meant when you ran out of those precious bowman starts averaging 55 to 62 points a week, you got to plug in bubba wallace at a 43 to 48 point average start, points start dropping quickly with scrubs.
on the B side, when your #2B went from a surprising almirola getting around 68 to 75 average points and then you run out of his starts and start plugging in some stenhouses at the end and get around 52 to 58 at the end of the season, it won't take long to lose about 200 points over last year because of the 8 start rule.

Motorhead55

the stars might lie, but the numbers never do, i feel lucky today.

in the immortal words of freddie mercury and queen... we are the champions my friend and we'll keep on fighting 'til the end
Oh I did. 343 with Harvick, Bowyer, Jones and Buescher. 595 for the season. I was just speaking in general about luck

sleestak

well, there's definitely a need to ponder...
because it's only 8 starts per driver this year, you're going to be using your top 6 B's for all 8 starts and probably your #7 & #8 B guy 6 - 8 times.
Exactly ... Yes. my 10 points per race for stage points is just throwing a number out there and could well be high.

Also, for last year's driver performances we would have 3 less "big 3" starts. Nobody knows if the big 3 scenario plays out this year in A. The group as a whole may not be as top heavy as last year. Every year is different. The reduced HP didn't seem to suit Happy's bottom feeder line yesterday.