• Until we can sync your login for the main site with the Community Forum you will need to register a new account here as well.

2020 DAYTONA 500

Super glad newman is ok but what was his serious but not life threatening injuries.they made us all think the worst for 2 days with zero info then he just walks out?
Everytime a driver is injured we know very quickly how bad what got hurt surgery ect..this weve been told nothing.im seeing alot of comments around since yestyrday referring to this question too.at first i didnt pay much attention to them but more and more people questioning exactly what happened.here is one quote that made alot of sense,
"why put up black screens, give us no update but ,'seriously injured but hes alive', make the world stress and fear the worse then on the 3rd day he walks out and goes home like nothing happend?something is missing or was added to this story,it doesnt make any sense."
I agree.like i said thank God he is ok!! but why did they go about this the way they did?
I know im going to get attacked for this one but it is something to think about.
If Newman had surgery it coulndn't have been major because he was out of the hospital in 3 days. I'm more curious how the accident will affect him mentally. I would not be surprised if he looked at his two daughters while he was in the hospital and decided it might be time to quit. Carl Edwards retired after a lot less severe accident.

tombo

If Newman had surgery it coulndn't have been major because he was out of the hospital in 3 days. I'm more curious how the accident will affect him mentally. I would not be surprised if he looked at his two daughters while he was in the hospital and decided it might be time to quit.
Or this maybe something that makes him want to return knowing first hand how safe it is to race these cars now.
This is the one thing nascar has done right in last 19 years is the safety of the cars..

Or this maybe something that makes him want to return knowing first hand how safe it is to race these cars now.
This is the one thing nascar has done right in last 19 years is the safety of the cars..
Newman has been harping on the cars going airborn for years and that is exactly what happened to him. NASCAR thought they we're safe enough before Dale Earnhard died. True, the cars are safer but, there is always the unexpected. The drivers know they operate in a high risk sport and accept it but, they know the potential for severe injury or death. I doubt they're even able to buy life insurance and if they can, maybe with Lloyd's of London, their premiums must be astronomical. I don't care what safety devices they had in the car. From the damage to his car and the fuel that was leaking with an open flame right next to it, in my opinion, it's nothing short of a miracle he's still alive. It will be interesing to see where he goes from here. If he does decide to retire, who could really blame him?

dandr

That may be your answer right there tombo.
Nascar wasn't going to give out ANY info regarding Newman until they were sure he was OK and their safety protocol had functioned properly in the crash. Can you imagine the blow up if that safety protocol had failed somehow???

Nascar wasn't going to give out ANY info regarding Newman until they were sure he was OK and their safety protocol had functioned properly in the crash. Can you imagine the blow up if that safety protocol had failed somehow???
Yup, good point!

tombo

No this is something else.everyone in rhe circle knew he had minimal injuries if any and they played it out like he was so badly injured and worried half the world..
Looks like dramatic WWE soap opra.

Marlar

Newman has been harping on the cars going airborn for years and that is exactly what happened to him. NASCAR thought they we're safe enough before Dale Earnhard died. True, the cars are safer but, there is always the unexpected. The drivers know they operate in a high risk sport and accept it but, they know the potential for severe injury or death. I doubt they're even able to buy life insurance and if they can, maybe with Lloyd's of London, their premiums must be astronomical. I don't care what safety devices they had in the car. From the damage to his car and the fuel that was leaking with an open flame right next to it, in my opinion, it's nothing short of a miracle he's still alive. It will be interesing to see where he goes from here. If he does decide to retire, who could really blame him?
I agree, especially with 2 young daughters in hand. Thankfully he was able to walk out on his own. What if he couldn't ...? Myself... I'm retiring and have plenty to do with the kids and the farm.

tombo

I agree, especially with 2 young daughters in hand. Thankfully he was able to walk out on his own. What if he couldn't ...? Myself... I'm retiring and have plenty to do with the kids and the farm.
If it was me and i walked away id get rigjt back in it and push it a little harder knowing just how safe these cars are and win me some races and championship.